Saturday, June 28, 2008

Then We Came to the End

I remember when this book came out because it had a lot of hype. Maybe a lot of that hype was local because the book is set in a Chicago ad agency during the time that the high flying 90s start to come to an end. I think the book has the same challenge as many new fiction books - the story is a bit Chicago-centric and I'm not sure how well that translates to other readers or how the story will hold up over time.

The first section of this book is absolutely hysterical. I found myself reading parts of it out loud. The characters are dead-on. The person who always has to be first to try a new restaurant, the prankster, the one everyone dislikes.

The middle section slows down and gets a little weird. The end is great as well. This really could have been a novella or short story. Anyone working in an office can relate to this one but maybe just read the start and finish and leave the middle out.

No comments: