Saturday, September 20, 2008

Introduction to Dave Robicheaux

"In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead" by James Lee Burke was my introduction to Dave Robicheaux. This one was recommended to me by another person who enjoys detective stories and mysteries. Robicheaux used to be a detective in New Orleans and now works as a detective in New Iberia. Dave is one of those detectives who has a past and sounds like alcohol got the better of him.

I liked the setting and the way Burke set up the story. I kept picturing Harry Connick Jr. in the role of the actor who needs Robicheaux's help. I don't know if that's because Connick is from New Orleans and I was making that connection.

Dave appears more human and vulnerable than someone like Jack Reacher. He could be killed even though you know he most likely won't be - Burke has more books out! This is a good one for a plane ride. It's a little repetitive at times and I think that would be annoying if you have followed the character for a while. From what I've heard Burke's latest book deals with Katrina and its effects on New Orleans. I think that shows the author's connection to the area that he can take a tragedy and address it in his work.

No comments: