Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

P. kept saying "you have to read Jonathan Strange next". I kept putting it off. It looked so long! The book was so big! I don't remember how this one came into our house. I think I bought it for P. as a gift after hearing people give it high marks. I dreaded carrying it in my bag to take on the bus.

I'm so glad P. kept on me to read it. It is fantasy mixed with history. The size is daunting but the book never felt long. Every character and plot made sense and I never felt that the other was padding the story. This is a really great book - so enjoyable that you will find yourself wishing you had more free time to spend with it because you want to see what happens next. It's also the type of book that when you see others reading it you say to them "that's a really good book".

At the end I felt the same way I did at the end of "Confederacy of Dunces". I was sad that I would not be hanging out with these characters any longer because the book had ended. Susana Clarke does have another book out which appears to be short stories that might feature people from "Jonathan Strange". Maybe that will be the way I get to revisit with my friends.

No comments: