Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Thought It Might Be Better

I bought "I Was Told There'd Be Cake" with my birthday coupon at After Words. My goal was to buy a very recent book. The paperback came out in 2008 so it qualified. I love the cover and the quote from Jonathan Lethem hooked me. It's not bad. It's not great. It's in-between. I think one day Sloane Crosley could be a really good writer. When she is concentrating on larger issues the writing is insightful and interesting. When she relies too much on popular culture icons it can get boring.

She's a good 10-15 years younger than I am but that's not the issue. I enjoyed the first story because it made me wonder what I might be embarrassed by if someone searched my apartment. I laughed out loud at the volunteer story because it hit home and the bad boss essay was an old topic but a new take on it. I would probably check out her next effort. From the information on her website it appears that HBO will be turning the book into some sort of show.

No comments: