Sunday, November 2, 2008

Next Best Thing

I could not afford the airfare to Paris after "Mystery Guest" even though I wanted to jet off for the weekend and crash some parties. So I did the next best thing, I picked up an Aimee Leduc mystery. Aimee Leduc is the 1/2 American (but I guess that is kept secret) detective living in Paris and the creation of author Cara Black. She specializes in corporate information and hacking but keeps getting dragged into more dangerous cases.

Her fishnet stockings always have a run. In this one she always seemed cold and in need of a better coat. Her love life is complicated. Her partner is a dwarf.

This is the second one in the series that I have read. I'm not reading them in order - I've read the first one ("Murder in the Marais") and this is the 5th one. In this book, Clichy is as much of part of the story as the characters. That is best part of these books. Cara Black does an amazing job of describing the Paris surroundings. I want to be with Aimee drinking red wine at a zinc countertop! Plus walking past of all the French history. Next time I go to Paris I will seek out some of the places in these books.

"Murder in Clichy" focuses on some aging veterans who survived combat only to find out that some of their actions have followed them into the present day. Aimee gets in trouble when she tries to do a favor for someone. The story gets a little confusing and I had to go back and re-read some parts to figure out the bad guys and good guys. Even the twisty plot line can't dilute the sheer joy of reading about the City of Light while Aimee is jumping in and out of dumpsters and still looking good while doing it.

No comments: