Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Hunter

Did you have a bad day at work? Stressed by the holidays? Not sure what to expect in 2009? Want to read about someone who has it worse than you? Well, maybe not worse, but certainly not living in the same world. Parker, who we will call the main character, even though he is not in long stretches of the book, is not a hero. He's not even an anti-hero. He makes Jack Reacher (see Lee Child) seem soft. He doesn't care about anyone except himself and never make the mistake that he does.

I can understand why The University of Chicago Press is re-issuing the Richard Stark books. The staccato writing, bleak characters and bad a** attitude of Parker makes "The Hunter" a fired out of a cannon read. You are spent by the time you are done. It's not a long book - I don't think I could have taken much more. I was almost feeling bad for the mob guy in this one! I will read more of the Parker series, but not one right after the other.

No comments: