Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wind Up Bird Chronicle

I've had this book in the house for a few years. I bought it based on the description of it the book store had posted on the shelf. One of their employees loved it and I had heard about it. After reading "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" the book moved closer to the top of the must read pile.

P. even read this before me and he has not read the Running book. Reading both you can see how the author's attitude toward life informs his writing. The book has some very dreamy qualities and a little bit of magic but, when you think about it, we all have odd coincidences in our lives.

The book struck me as a really long tale told by a friend over a beer. You aren't in any hurry to hear the end of the story. The story veers off into little sub-stories. Some of the sub-stories interest you more than others but you're willing to stick out the whole thing.

In the hands of a less skilled writer I would have hurled this one across the floor. For some reason, even though parts of it are strange, it never gets boring or too sensational - it keeps you in a level plane of interest where you do want to know what happens next. For all the strangeness there are some really normal story lines too such as not liking your in-laws, divorce and trying to figure out what to do with your life.

The book wins the award for the most disturbing visual image ever and you know I read some dark books. I also liked the end because I thought it tied up the story very well. Felt a bit melancholy at the end but not in a bad way. I bought "Made in the USA" by Pizzicato Five at the record store and that was a really good soundtrack for this book.

1 comment:

kingsbefore said...

i really need to read this book soon. thanks for the reminder.

- tim