Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Planes & Hotels & Nora Roberts

I'm really close to finishing "Infinite Jest". If you live in Chicago and have been anywhere near me the past month you already know that I'm going to be one of those people that absolutely loves the book. I've quoted from it, tracked people down to talk about it and even photocopied a passage from it for one of my co-workers. I can't imagine that David Foster Wallace is going to blow it at the end because it's been so great so far.

That said, I had to go to Washington, DC for work. Well, I got to go as well because I did have some fun while I was there. I just could not picture finishing "Infinite Jest" by myself in a hotel room. I think I will be sad when it's done because the book is over and also I think the ending might be sad.

There has been a total Nora Roberts convergence at my office lately. My mom reads Nora Roberts and has had a woman in my office look for a titles at used book sales. Then one of the editors at work picked up a Nora Roberts in the free book exchange and admitted that he really was enjoying it - as was his wife. Then the New Yorker (!) ran a story on Nora Roberts that just makes you want to check out her writing.

I don't care for romance on its own but mix it up with a sassy female lead, a hunky husband and some blood & guts and you've got me! J.D. Robb is Nora Roberts mystery nom de plume. Thanks to my co-worker I now know that the "..in Death" titles are a series. I started with "Imitation in Death" because I found it at the Newberry sale and threw it in my bag for the trip.

It's not bad. It's a little dirtier than Cara Black. Eve Dallas is just as smart and sharp as Jack Reacher. The stories are set in the future but not too sci-fi. Great book for a plane ride and hotel room. In this one Eve is baited by a serial killer who is imitating famous killers. That's really all you need to know - I won't give away more. I enjoyed it and it kept me entertained and reading.

Best part - when I got to work today my co-worker had left me a copy of "Naked in Death" - the first in the series. There will be more J.D. Robb in my future.

No comments: