Sunday, August 30, 2009

Nine Parts of Desire

I don't read a lot of non-fiction so when I do I tend to take the author's word on the subject. Parts of this book had me thinking "c'mon, is it really like this?". Maybe it is. Some of it was pretty far out and to me. The lengths the Muslim community go to to support their religion seemed silly. Also, some of the more recent interpretations of Islam seemed based on modern needs. It's ok for women to fight in combat if we don't have enough men for combat, for example.

This selection is for a new book group I was asked to join. I'm looking forward to our first meeting. While I have been thinking about this book to prepare for the book group it is not a book I would recommend. I did think about "A Thousand Splendid Suns" while reading the parts in the book about the Shah and then the Ayatollah being in power. The ideals of the person in charge can determine what a woman can and can't wear and do.

No comments: