Sunday, September 27, 2009

Losing Mum and Pup - Thanks Again Paul!

After a jangly day at work on Thursday I headed to Harold Washington to check out a few books and enjoy some library calm. On my way to the elevators to check-out I passed the new non-fiction display and saw this one and remembered it from Paul Ingram's Summer Reading video.

I like memoirs. I appreciate the challenge the writer must have in honing in on one experience or time. I have not read any Christopher Buckley before this one so it's perhaps an unusual introduction to his writing. The memoir covers the death of his parents which occurred over a very short period of time in 2007-2008.

It's sad but Christopher Buckley asks you to not feel sorry for him. I enjoyed the book a lot. It's an insight into their family and the relationship of a son, and only child, with his parents. It's a quick read. Most of the books I checked out on Thursday are slim. I'm doing some research for the novella group for next summer.

"Losing Mum and Pup" was published by Twelve Publishers. I had not heard of them before but they have an interesting premise - only publish one book a month. This was the selection for May 2009.

No comments: