Monday, September 21, 2009

No Sophomore Slump for Flynn

While Gillian Flynn's book "Sharp Objects" did not make my Top 5 of 2008
it was one of my favorite books last year. Plot twists you never saw coming and delicious, chilly terror. When I heard she was putting out a 2nd book I made sure to get on the waiting list at the library.

I have never pulled an all-nighter. Ok, I've come home plenty of times when the sun was coming up but I've never stayed up all night to study or read. This book could make you burrow under the covers with a flashlight and keep reading it to the end to find out what happens next. I read it in every spare moment. And it's back at the library for the rest of you on the waiting list.

Gillian Flynn can write a main character you don't like and that is tough. Libby is not nice. I would not want to hang out with her. She is 30 and has never held a job. She has lived off the generosity of strangers who set up a fund for her because her family was brutally murdered. She also sold the rights to her story to try and earn more money. She survived the attack and testified that her brother, Ben, killed her family. Even with all the brutality you don't feel sorry for her. She is the type that will take some money out of your wallet while you are not looking.

Libby is running out of money and is contacted by a club of murder enthusiasts. They don't think her brother killed the family and they offer her money to meet with other suspects and she milks them for cash. Along the way she realizes that the memory of a bratty, lying child (she was only 7 when the event happened) could have been manipulated by adults who wanted a certain outcome. Children, and the events they cause, is a theme of the book.

I don't want to give too much away. Again, Gillian Flynn delivers a unique plot and a very strong ending.

No comments: