Friday, December 4, 2009

The Optimist's Daughter - Optimistic about 50?

A co-worker was cleaning out her library at home and offered up some books for free. Even though last November I said I was not planning on reading Welty again, I asked for this book. I'm glad I took another look at Welty. This one was very good. She really had an ear for conversation, especially within families. She writes so that what is not said is just as important as what is said. "The Optimist's Daughter" was good for this time of year as we start in on the holidays and start thinking about family and what it means to be part of a family - whether related by blood, or marriage or just history. I liked Laurel and found her a great change of pace from the heroines of chick-lit. She is normal and struggling with her father's death, his new wife, friends of the family who are planning her life while trying to live her own life in another town. There's a little North v. South in this book now that I look back on it. This was not as rambling as "Delta Wedding" and was a short, concise story.

With this one I'm up to 43 books for the year. Will I make 50? I'm working on two at once right now so I might. It will be close. "Infinite Jest" slowed me down a little but I don't regret taking the time to read it at all. I'll have to think about my year end recap and post my favorites for 2009 as December starts to draw to an end.

No comments: