Friday, November 20, 2009

Third and Done

My Newberry book group started The Cornish Trilogy in early 2008. We finished up Thursday with our discussion of "The Lyre of Orpheus", the final installment in the trilogy by Robertson Davies.

I would rank the titles in this order:
1. "What's Bred in the Bone"
2. "The Lyre of Orpheus"
3. "Rebel Angels"

Strange to like the first book in a series the least. If not for the book group I'm not sure if I would have finished the whole package. The discussion was very lively. With 3 books to reference you could really get into the story lines. We agreed that this one had some minor characters thrown in that were not fully developed. Maybe Davies was using them to make a point, or maybe he was tired - this was his last book before his death.

I laughed out loud at certain parts while reading this one. The characters have some funny zingers. It's not a book I would have picked up on my own at all. It's about the funding and production of an opera. I had to look up "libretto" which should be an indication of my unfamiliarity with opera.

Spoiler::::: I was a little sad that Darcourt did not seem to figure out that Francis Cornish did have a love in his life - the governess of the Princess. I guess I can't fault Davies for not completing every story line he introduced, though.

I hear the best book by Davies is "Fifth Business". If I see it used I might pick it up. While I won't be raving about Davies the way the woman did on the Clark bus I would not write him off forever.

No comments: