Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Better Late than Never - People of the Book

This was the Newberry selection for May of 2009. I could not get excited about it so I did not read it but still went to the discussion because I like the book group and miss them if I don't attend. I've read "March" (also with Newberry) and "Nine Parts of Desire" (with my new book group) and neither did much for me. I remember the Newberry group ripping on this one because they thought it was closer to Dan Brown than our usual book group fare.

Brooks' has a formula and I'm wondering when it going to catch up with her. In this one the Sarajevo Haggadah is the historical part and the story follows its creation and the people who have been responsible for its care. She takes a risk by using different narrators for the historical parts. I liked all of them except the one chapter narrated by the person who illuminates the book. I pretty much skimmed that chapter. I did enjoy Hanna's character even though the relationship with her mother got a bit tiring.

It's not a bad book. It's my favorite so far by Geraldine Brooks. For me, though, the historical fiction may have run its course with this author. Unless I see "Year of Wonders" someplace used that is!

No comments: