Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hunting & Gathering

I could have sworn that I found out about this book from The Millions "Year in Reading" series but when I went to search for the post could not find it. But I remember seeing a short blurb about this one and it said something about Paris and an odd group of friends and I was hooked - was ordering it on Abebooks right away.

I loved this book. I must say that I love Paris so any book set in the city in a cool, old apartment with quirky characters stands a good chance with me. Yes, it was a sweet story, but with some characters that really needed a few good things to happen for them. I think in the hands of another author it could have been really cheesy but I enjoyed the way the plot flowed and, yes, I could picture the ending in a movie but I still liked it.

I found a review online that did not care for this one as much as other works by the author that were a little darker. I will be checking out the other books so we'll see but I really enjoyed this author and am glad I saw the blurb about the book - wherever that may have been!

A moment to remember Robert B. Parker - who I just read! Sounds like he died the best way he could have all things considered, writing at his desk. He seems like a stand-up guy judging by the tributes I have read from authors and booksellers. He was big in Japan and that's not a joke.

Also a moment to remember J.D. Salinger. I can't imagine living his life. He wrote what may become one of the most enduring books of all time. History will have to see how "Catcher in the Rye" holds up but I'm thinking teenage angst will always exist. If you have not read "Catcher in the Rye" as an adult, try it, and let me know if your views on Holden have changed at all. I think The Onion did a brilliant send-up.

No comments: