Sunday, January 10, 2010

Memento Mori - Book Group 2010

Do you look at people and think "I wonder how old they are?". Do you think "wow, I look much better than that person!". Do you have friends that you have known for 10 years, 20 years, 30 years and you are growing old together?

If so, the people in this book are just like you. "Memento Mori" features a group of friends in their 70s and 80s as they age. They are getting crank phone calls that remind them that they are going to die. Some of them do not need reminding. They have accepted that they will die. Others are fighting the aging process.

This is the kind of book that makes you laugh and then you think "wow, I really should not laugh at that". This is the Newberry selection for January and when I started it I wondered why a group of older individuals wanted to read a book about old people who die. In the end I stopped wondering and enjoyed the story and its characters. The book pokes fun at older people who keep re-doing their wills to hold something over someone else.

I had not read anything by Muriel Spark before and I would check out more by her. I enjoyed her writing style. She reveals things slowly and has a good ear for conversation.

No comments: