Thursday, April 1, 2010

Anna Gavalda - My New Favorite

I read "Hunting and Gathering" by Anna Gavalda at the beginning of the year and really enjoyed it. I like Anna Gavalda's style. It is very personal and sensual. Not dirty, but rather you feel that you are hanging out with the characters and they are sharing their life with you. I felt that "Hunting and Gathering" toed the line between schmaltz and total despair in a wonderfully balanced way. In my opinion that is a true talent.

Based on my enjoyment of the first book I read by this author, I purchased two other books by her. "I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere" is a collection of short stories from 2003. I enjoyed all of the stories - especially the first one which is a cautionary tale about the use of cell phones.

Anna Gavalda has a new book out that is receiving so-so reviews. I will still check it out because I like this author and want to keep reading what she is writing.

No comments: