Monday, July 26, 2010

Winter v. Summer

"Death and the Penguin" is a re-read for me.  This was our Novella selection for July 2010 as we work to read authors from other countries.  Is the real talent the fact that this book is really not about anything?  That is has so little action?  Is that restraint the sign of a talent? 

I think I must have read it during Winter the first time.  It's a curl-up-on-a-couch-with-a-fancy-afghan kind of book.  Perhaps not a Summer book.  Man, I wanted some vodka.  The translation struck me as terrible the 2nd time around.  But still a great novella discussion!  So many viewpoints even for a sparse story.  Can't believe it's already the end of July as we near the end of the 4th season of the Novella Group. 

Misha, the Penguin, in the book comes from the Kiev Zoo.  The Kiev Zoo has hit on some hard times recently so current events also made their way into our book group discussion.  I would say read it - but wait until Winter or a during a time you can finish it out in one long reading session.  Perhaps during a cold that doesn't knock you out too much to read.

No comments: