Saturday, August 7, 2010

Now this is more like it....thanks John Banville

Benjamin Black is the pen name for John Banville ("The Sea" - Booker Prize winner 2005).  We read "The Sea" for the Newberry book group.  At least I think I read it.  I can't remember.  

This was another title that I picked up on cd to listen to while I was driving around this week.  I had read good reviews of Banville's mystery writing and was surprised to see that this one was narrated by Timothy Dalton (James Bond).

Finally!  This was exactly what I was looking for when I thought about checking out books on cd.  It kept me interested while driving through Indiana and Wisconsin which is quite a task.  There were 8 disks in this set and I kept popping them into the player.  I wanted to find out what happened next.  I was interested in the characters.  Dalton narrated with enough variation in tone that you could differentiate the characters but did not go overboard.  He was very good.  

The plot involves a pathologist in Ireland who was an orphan and was taken in by a local family.  The father loved him more than his own son so there is tension between the grown men/brothers.  The brothers marry sisters and there is a love square.  The plot also involves unwed mothers, the Catholic church, adoption and Boston society with some murder for good measure.  Whew!  Quite a bit to throw at the plot but Banville/Black really weaves the characters in and out of each other's lives in a believable way.  I had almost finished all the disks when I arrived back in Chicago on Friday afternoon and finished it up today while playing with my new toys - a new computer and iPod.  So not much reading for the past couple days but it will pick up soon.  Scored some really good mysteries at the Newberry book sale and want to read a few during the dog days of summer

No comments: