Friday, November 19, 2010

Old Book, New Technology

I have purchased an iPad.  I love it.  What a great invention.  Now I can travel with email, books, movies, games and the internet in one portable device.  Plus using it at home is so fun to not leave the couch and have so much at your fingertips.

I downloaded a free book through iBooks.  I had been curious about the Jeeves' books by P.G. Wodehouse.  Bertram Wooster is a cleaner, much less bawdy, version of Flashman.  Zingy British humor and witty dialog.  I enjoyed it.  It was a great test drive of reading a book in an electronic format.  The pages on the iPad seem a little shorter than in an actual book so I felt I was reading faster.  I like turning the pages by dragging my finger across the screen.  It's just plain fun.  No, no, I'm not giving up print books but I do understand some of the advantages of electronic distribution of book content.  I'm going to Atlanta for 10 days and don't have to worry about taking enough to read.  If I run out of things I can download something.

45 titles and counting as we work toward the end of the year.  Was just reviewing the titles read in 2010 and thinking about my favorites.  I'll post that later in December but see some that are in the lead.

No comments: