Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Winter's Bone - Armchair Travel

Reading is a great way to travel to places you might never get to visit.  You might not travel to a certain location because it's too far away, or too expensive or off limits.  The Ozarks featured in "Winter's Bone" are not exactly trying to attract any tourism.  They are not trying to attract anything - especially not unwanted attention.  When you first start reading this book and learn about the code of conduct for the area, the way families and loyalties have developed and observe the living conditions you might think the story takes place in the 50s.  Then you get blindsided by the mention of crystal meth and you are shot right into the present day.

The writing is sparse but so descriptive.  I dare you to not feel cold while reading this.  I felt cold, hungry and dirty through most of the story.  I heard an interview with this author on NPR and the impression I got was that people in this area try to stay out of each other's way and live and let live.  Which can be tough to do when a house blows up because it's a meth lab.  Also kudos on the ending.  I thought Ree was a great main character.  It's not a long book and would be a good choice for a cold day when you don't want to go outside.  I will check out other titles by this author.  I'm curious about the movie of the book and may check it out.

It's also that time of year when The Millions starts featuring The Year in Reading.  Read at your own risk.  I usually find these posts add to my wish list of books to read.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

The movie is great. Eerily quiet and difficult to watch (in a good way).