Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wrapping up 2010 with the top 6

Here are my Top 6 books read in 2010:

1.  "Mathilda Savitch"- A great writer and storyteller with an amazing ear.  I hope the author writes another book soon.

2.  "Hunting & Gathering" - Dreamy.  Romantic.  Chick lit in Paris - chic lit?

3.  "The Man with the Golden Arm" - A classic you should read.  Language is absolute poetry while telling the story of drifters and bums.

4.  "The Fifth Woman" - 2010 brought the discovery of the Kurt Wallander detective series.  This one is strong enough to stand on its own.

5.  "The Girl Who Played with Fire"  - Yes, the Millennium Trilogy deserves all the hype.  This is the 2nd one and my favorite of the three.  Again, strong enough to be on its own.  You know when a book review says you can't put the book down?  For this one it's true - be prepared to cancel plans in order to finish.

6.  "Shoplifting from American Apparel" - Tao Lin.  What can you say?  Is it an act?  Or is he a genius? Looking forward to reading the novel I bought when we saw him in person.


2010 was a good year in reading.  I wanted to read more non-fiction and looking at my full list of books for 2010 I did not have as much non-fiction as I thought.  And it was all about North Korea!  But that's ok - I am fascinated by the country and already have my eye on a few North Korean books for 2011.

2010 was also the year I purchased an e-reader.  An iPad to be exact.  I love it.  I had someone say to me on New Year's Eve that they don't like the iPad as a reader.  I think he was jealous.  I find the reader very easy on the eyes and I wear bifocals.  I have also downloaded the Kindle app and will try that format for an upcoming book.

I started a new job in 2010 which requires travel and I have been in a car a lot more than recent years.  I have started trying out books on CD and find I enjoy them for long car rides.  Sure beats flipping through bad radio stations.  So perhaps the big change in 2010 was the way I consumed the content.  Although all of my Top 6 books were read in print.  That may be different in 2011, we will see what the year brings.  I think 2011 may also bring some re-reads.  I have a few books I have been thinking about, and even though I do have a lot of new books to read, I think there may be a few titles I re-read this year. That is not such a bad problem to have!

Happy 2011 to everyone!  I hope you are able to take as much time as you like to read in the new year.

**I just compared my LibraryThing list for 2010 and found that I left a book out so I ended up with 51 for 2010.  I keep the main list in LibraryThing and had left off "Nothing to Envy".  Then I had left 2 books off my running list on the blog so, all in all, 51 for this year.  Not too shabby.

1 comment:

Andrea A. said...

great list and great dewey pic. :)