Friday, February 11, 2011

Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name

Greetings from Chicago - still digging out after the 3rd largest snow storm.  It's a week later, people, let's stop dibbing parking spots.

So it's cold and you're stuck inside.  Why not read about Lapland?  Just saying Lapland is fun.  Try it.  I've wanted to read this book since I saw it reviewed in Bookmarks because I think it has one of the best book titles ever.  "Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name".  Doesn't it just give you chills?

Before the snow hit I treated myself to a trip to the thrift store to browse the books and this one was there.  If you are ever looking for an inexpensive book fix check out the local thrift store.

I really enjoyed this book.  I think it is incredibly well written and the format is unusual.  Some parts of the book are broken out into little paragraphs.  Almost as if they are journal entries or short thoughts or memories that occur to the narrator.  Some of them read like poetry and I found myself re-reading them because I enjoyed them so much the first time.  Many are heart breaking and quite raw.

I won't give away any more information than the book flap.  The narrator is a young woman who has just experienced the death of her father.  Her mother left when she was a teenager.  Except after her father's death, she discovers that he was not her father and that her mother had been married before and that is the person named on her birth certificate.  She is alone in the world and finds out that people in her life have been keeping secrets.  The biggest secret of all - who is she?  So she goes in search of her father and the journey takes her to Lapland.

It's an adult book about being alone, losing your family, making your own family and finding your own way in life.  I recommend reading this one and I'm going to keep my eye out for other titles by the author (Vendela Vida).

**Here's another book hint.  I tried out something different on my recent work road trip.  I found a new (to me) podcast on iTunes called "Books on the Nightstand".  The podcasts run about 20 minutes and are divided into sections - the hosts cover a topic and then each suggest a book for you to read.  While I don't agree with all of their opinions (the one host loves the Outlander series and "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves" and P. and I heard that author speak and I thought I would never get P. to another author reading it was so terrible).  Check out the podcasts but be warned - my "to be read" list just kept growing while I was listening.  It is interesting that the hosts like every book they talk about but that could be because, like me, they would give up on a bad book.  I also listened to some Sound Opinions podcasts and they will talk about albums they don't like but maybe that's because you can listen to a bad album while doing something else but a bad book is a total waste of time.

1 comment:

abapubliced said...

This sounds very interesting - I always check out your blog for new book suggestions!