Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Please Look After Mom and Please Read this Book

I'm back. Finally - I was having a major reading block. I don't know what was wrong with me because I was not enjoying the books I tried starting. I think it took a road trip to Iowa and catching up on podcasts to knock me out of my funk.

"Please Look After Mom" was mentioned on Books on the Nightstand. I generally avoid mother-daughter books but this one sounded interesting because it is by a (South) Korean author (Kyung-sook Shin). While Kyung-sook Shin is popular in Korea this is her first book to be translated into English. A wonderful, touching, sad and insightful book.

The first two sections will have you reaching for the phone to call a loved one. The third section will make you look more closely at someone you love and give them a big hug. The last section will make you grab the Kleenex. It's not one to finish in public. I think it is a tense and beautiful examination of becoming an adult and experiencing grief. How do you balance mourning and everyday life? This is not an American book. It's raw and not sappy and a little mystical.

I can't wait to see if the author's other works will be translated into English. I hope so because I would read something else by her for sure. I'm not sure how these decisions are made in the publishing world. With the closing of many Borders locations I'm also wondering lately about how and where people buy books. This one I purchased on the iPad but I never would have found it on my own which would have been too bad because I think this one will make the best of list at the end of the year.

I also recommend the Nancy Pearl Book Reviews podcast this month. She talks about Genres and it was food for thought.

No comments: