Thursday, December 29, 2011

When you are sick and can read

I had a cold that lasted all of Thanksgiving and beyond.  But at least it was a cold that allowed you to read so I finished this one quickly but had not posted about it.  #2 in the Maisie Dobbs series.  I enjoyed it - Maisie is an interesting character.  So organized.  And Joseph Pilates has a funny mention.  Maisie's work ethic has inspired me to try to be more organized next year.  My lack of focus in 2011 resulted in a very, very low book count.  Such a shame because there are so many great books out there.  But no use crying over spilt milk!  Chin up and shoulders back and let's carry on in 2012.

I heard an interesting story on NPR about female detectives.  I believe there is a new anthology out of older stories featuring female detectives and the person who compiled it was talking about how the early female detectives were not forward about their profession.  Perhaps they were a society person with some extra time on their hands and connections that allowed them to solve crimes.  But few were employed as private investigators.  Maisie Dobbs is a current series so she does not have those constraints - she is very open about her profession and her abilities.

No comments: