Friday, February 3, 2012

Wooly Narrators

"Three Bags Full" was a Christmas gift.  P. figured I like mysteries and this one looked completely different.  And it sure was!  First, I did not know that the story is translated from German.  Add on top of that the flock of sheep as the narrators.  A few times I had to put the book down to try and figure out what I had just read.  Did I not understand it because the sheep were not explaining it correctly?  Or because it was a farming term I did not know?

You may think the technique of using animals as narrators would be too cute.  Yes it is clever, but it's a dark story where the sheep are trying to figure out who murdered their shepherd.  Some parts toward the end got a little trippy for me.  I'm sure there are some religious themes that escaped me.  Toward the end I was reminded of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".  I also think it's no accident that the sheep that does most of the sleuthing is Miss Maple - Miss Marple anyone?

I enjoyed reading this one.  It would be good for a mystery fan who wants something out of the ordinary.  It was a good book to read during a long flight back from Arizona.  I'm not that tall and feel bad for taller people - even I was squished and could only hold my book right in front of me on a very full flight.

The bonus of reading this one in print - my version has a flip book.  Each right hand side page has a sheep and when you flip the pages it is a flip book.  Something I don't think would be included in an e-book.

No comments: