Monday, March 5, 2012

Giving Up on "Swamplandia!"

Read to page 194 today and realized I did not want to continue.  It's not as though I don't like books narrated by kids ("Mathilda Savitch", "My Little Friend") or that I don't enjoy books dealing with the death of a parent ("Tinkers") or even that I don't like books with a fantastical bent ("Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell") but I could not read another page.

Parts of this book are so overworked.  I am not an author but I feel like this author went over some sections a few too many times and they are too complicated.  I also think you have to be careful when you use different narrators for each chapter.  When it dawned on me I did not care who was narrating any longer I decided to pack it in.  This is the Newberry selection for March and I'll miss the meeting since I don't want to fake my way through the session.

No comments: