Friday, May 25, 2012

Happy Memorial Day Weekend - Stop Working, Start Reading

"Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" was our Novella selection to kick off the 2012 season.  I usually make my book covers in LibraryThing match my book but the cover edit feature is disabled right now.  Plus this cover is so much more graphic than the regular red cover with the dog cut-out.  So I'm leaving it. 

This was a re-read for me and I was still thinking about it yesterday.  Is it what I would call a good book?  I'm not sure.  I think a lot of my enjoyment came from the unusual narrator.  A premise that could be kind of mundane - child with parents who are divorced - but turned on its head - autism, lies, mis-perceptions.  But this book works and I did enjoy reading it.  Although I was also reading, at the same time, "Hound of the Baskervilles" and Christopher in "Curious...." gives away the ending which sort of took the wind out my sails for reading "Hound" so I've put it aside.  Don't worry - I started the perfect holiday weekend book that I can't wait to get to right now since we're allowed to knock off early today. 

If you are looking for a book group book this is a good choice.  It's not long and has a lot to discuss.  We had a good time on Sunday even though a short rain shower pushed us out of the beer garden.

Don't forget about the Summer Reading Challenge

The new Sherlock on PBS is over the season.  The three episodes went by so fast!  I would say that "Hound of the Baskervilles" was my least favorite.  The last one, "The Reichenbach Fall", was my favorite.  It was so tricky and smart!  I can't wait for the new episodes but the show seems to have high production so it will be a while.  I'm also interested to see what comes out next on Masterpiece. 

And here is my new web obsession - not books, but fashion and so funny:  http://www.manrepeller.com/.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend full of reading, relaxing, friends, family and fun! 

No comments: