Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sci Fi and RIP

About once a year I think about reading science fiction.  While walking around NYC on vacation P. and I stopped in at the St. Mark's bookstore.  It's sad that I no longer plan trips to bookstores in other cities but I love stopping in if I happen by one.  I like to see how other stores display their books based on their own likes.  St. Mark's had a pretty big sci-fi section and this one sounded good by the description on the back of the book.

This book is bad.  Now I'm not enough of a sci-fi reader to know if it's indicative of the entire genre.  The story starts out pretty good and gets much, much worse.  Plus I was so pissed because the back of the book, that encouraged me to buy the book, was totally wrong!  The main plot point mentioned on the back doesn't even happen!  Ugh.  I *almost* gave up but did not want to give up because it is a genre I don't usually read.  Oh, well.  You win some, you lose some.

Rest in peace Maurice Sendak.  Thank you for being one of the major influences on my reading life.

No comments: