Sunday, July 1, 2012

No, I have not seen the movie

Mom, why does the girl next door only come out at night?

No, I have not seen the movie - either the Swedish version or the American version.  I think I would watch the Swedish original even though it would probably scare me a lot.

This is the second book I've read lately that deals, in its own unique way, with the very current topic of bullying.  For work I've been asked a lot lately for statistics and legal information on bullying.  In "Ready Player One" bullies were avoided by going to school in a virtual world.  In "Let the Right One In" bullies are bested by becoming friends with a vampire.

This book also has a very dark topic of the exploitation of children. Can they still be exploited when they are really a 100 year old vampire?  Not for the squeamish that is for sure.  Books I've read lately have given me the impression of cold - this one the impression of bad smells.

Maybe another book riding the wave of the popularity of books and movies from Sweden.  Not sure this one would help tourism.

No comments: