Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Oh, to have a summer vacation

A few years ago the job that I was at had student workers.  They were in high school and would help with entry level tasks.  During the summer we would keep one of the students but the others would go on their way and have a regular high school summer.

I remember vividly one of them asking me "so what are you doing this summer?".  You see what I'm doing now?  (Data entry, sending emails, running errands for others, etc).  That's exactly what I'll be doing all summer, kid.  Welcome to being an adult.

Sigh.

P. has been after me (vigorously encouraging me) to read The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.  When he finished the trilogy of massive books he was so sad.  He said he wished he had never read them so he could read them again for the first time.

Wow.

So I took "Quicksilver" off the shelf the other night.  I'm on page 34 and it doesn't even look like I've cracked the cover.  I'm hoping it sucks me in soon.  It's not bad but it really makes me pine for a summer vacation.  Hours and hours of couch and bedroom time just reading.  Get up, read, go to the pool, hang out with friends, ride bikes, babysit, read.  This massive book is the kind you could just get lost in over a summer vacation.

But job, the gym (physical activity is new to me as an adult), travel, cooking, laundry, knitting, reading Man Repeller and All the Pretty Birds, PBS.org, RuPaul's Drag Race -- all cut into my reading time.  After record heat the insects are making noise in Chicago.  I hear some kids riding Big Wheels.  The breeze is coming in the windows and I'm going to get in bed and read.

Bring me a flashlight in a bit will you?  I could be up late.

No comments: