Thursday, August 16, 2012

You can read this out of order...don't worry

If you ever find yourself in East Lansing, MI be sure and stop by the Curious Book Shop.  It is a great store especially if you are trying to kill some time before returning to a hotel room on a work trip.  Great stock, friendly staff and funny customers.  I found a few titles there.  Yes, I skipped #2 in this series since they did not have it at the store.  Don't worry!  You really can read the Stephanie Plum books out of order - I don't think too much will be revealed.  And I don't think you'll be confused.

So I found myself in Lincoln Square over the weekend and stopped in the crazy used bookstore.  I asked if they had any titles from this series in the lower numbers (I think Evanovich is up to 19).  I'm pretty sure it was the owner I was talking to and he said no - he said he purposely does not take in those titles because everyone wants one he does not have.

Hmmm....so you don't take in crime or mystery novels that are part of a series?  What about the Bourne books I see on the shelf?  What about the Lee Child titles?  He even said he is starting to read a new series (to him) that is about espionage.  Ok, I get it, you don't take in a series about a wacky, hapless, female bounty hunter but you do take in books about espionage.  Well, wacky, hapless, female characters appeal to me right now.  I did buy a standalone Mankell book but I was still a bit miffed.  I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for used Stephanie Plum.  And I don't think he takes in Cara Black (Aimee Leduc) either - another female character that always manages to find a vintage Lanvin piece at the thrift store.

Oh, and the book?  Not too bad - you can feel Evanovich start to hit a stride.  I like the characters.  I like the plot.  It's a good read.

No comments: