Monday, November 19, 2012

Ending, Watch out Novella Group

No, no, we're not ending the Novella group.  It's a nod to the book we just read for Newberry.  "The Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes.  It's under the 200 page suggested length for our Novella group.  While reading it for Newberry I was not sure if it might be a contender for our summer group.

It's a beautifully written book.  And smart.  But so sad.  I can see why other writers like Julian Barnes so much - something we learned during the introduction of the book at Newberry.  He is crafty.  This is literature and a mystery. 

We had a rollicking discussion.  They are so many layers to this book so I think, yes, this will be a selection for the Novella group in 2013 because I want to see how others react to it.

I will say the discussion reminded me of when we talked about "All the Names".  Why the expectation that characters in books have to do something remarkable?  Why are people so harsh on characters that are just living?  Isn't that what most of us do?  I think a writer that can move a story forward about an average person is quite talented.  They aren't relying on action in the person's life to move the narrative along. 

I saw a woman at the coffee shop today with a copy of "The Life of Pi" and asked her if she saw that it was being made into a movie.  I told her I did not want to give anything away but was curious how it would translate to film.  It made me want to re-read the book even though I have so many books to read for the first time!  So many books, not enough time. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: