Friday, January 4, 2013

My Top Five from 2012

I ended 2012 with 30 books read.  Not great but not bad.  I spent a lot more time at the gym this year, I knit more, I did a lot of shopping and I watched more tv.  During my travel for work I was not great with attention span and probably spent too much time on mobile devices.  I still had a Top 5 and my commitment for 2013 is to spend more time reading.  Without a regular commute I need to be more diligent about setting aside reading time since I don't have a built in time to read as I used to have.

Here are the Top 5 books for me from 2012:

1.  Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion - The last book read in 2012 and one that will actually change my life.  I had a feeling something was happening in the fashion industry but could not put my finger on it.  We no longer shop each season - we now shop all the time!!!  And as much as I like to get a deal am I buying things that were inexpensive to begin with?  I want more style.  I want to be unique.  And I want to support American businesses, local businesses and I want each piece of clothing I put on to make me feel good.  We have to get dressed so we might as well make it fun.

2.  The Bridge of San Luis Rey - Read it twice this year.  Once for Newberry and once for the Novella group and both meetings yielded very interesting discussion.  This is one that if you find someone at a party who had read it you can really get into a conversation.

3.  The Devil all the Time - I read both of Donald Ray Pollock's books this year.  Liked them both but "Devil all the Time" was my favorite of the two.  Dark and scary and not for the squeamish.  These are the people you hope you don't you meet in an alley.

4.  Ready Player One - A book that lived up to the hype.  One to read now - not sure how it will age.  Plus it brings up issues that are very much in the news today.  Insightful comments into society and how people interact with each other as more technology is introduced into our lives.  Unplug and read it in paper!

5.  The Sense of an Ending - Looking forward to reading this with the Novella group this summer.  We had a very full discussion at Newberry and after our meeting I kept thinking of more things I wanted to talk about.  That is a good sign.  Many layers in this book.

So I hope everyone had a great year of reading in 2012!  If you want to leave any of your favorites from 2012 please feel free to leave them in the comment section so others can check them out.  I'm really looking forward to 2013.

I have added a "Currently Reading" widget on the right hand side of the blog.  Do you like it?  You can vote for a few more days.  Do you like the surprise or do you like to see what's in my queue?  I plan to visit the local bookstore's reading group this year when they have a title of interest so that will add to my reading list.  Plus we are having a Bonus Novel meeting of the Novella group later in January.  And of course another year of Newberry and the Novella group!  Very exciting.

Best wishes for Good Reading in 2013!

No comments: