Thursday, January 2, 2014

Top 5 for 2013

Happy New Year and Welcome to 2014!  I hope everyone received books for the holidays and will have plenty of time to read in the new year.  I ended with 31 books read in 2013 which is one more than 2012.  I can do better!  Here is my challenge to myself, and feel free to join me, but I will read 14 more books in 2014.  So my number for this year will 45.  Still off the 50 I used to shoot for but let's be realistic.  Although we have talked about a TV cutback at home so we'll see how that goes.

Here are my Top 5 for 2013.  I was looking back at my list and I read a lot of books this year that I liked so I had to think about what to include - that is a nice change of pace!

1.  Eccentric Glamour - books that make you say "yes!" out loud are always good in my opinion.  Plus this book helped me discover a new writer and a new way to think about dressing.  Make 2014 your year of eccentric glamour!  Join me Gypsies, Socialites and Existentialists!

2.  Frankenstein - Wow, am I glad I have now read this book.  I still think about it.  You should read it, too.  It's one you could really ruin for someone but I won't.  A book about the monster, yes, but also about friendships.

3.  The Lock Artist - I had forgotten how much I like this book until I was looking back at my list on LibraryThing.

4.  Treasure Island!!! - makes me chuckle just thinking about the main character.  How can someone be so bad?  And yet so entertaining?  And so entitled?  And get the original book so wrong?

5.  Gone Girl - If you are sad because you read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and want something as gripping and creepy you should read "Gone Girl".

I just saw at O'Hare that the Stephanie Plum series is on 19!  I'm not sure how far I'll take it but I've got 6 and 7 at home.  Think I picked those up at the Newberry book sale.  So many books, so little time but it's not a bad problem to have!  And books don't contain calories.  So read on Readers!

No comments: