Friday, January 24, 2014

Visual Trip to North Korea

Talk about armchair travel!  Since the chances of me ever visiting North Korea are slim, "Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea", by Guy Delisle was my second best option.  I've read a few books about North Korea now, and some have had a few photos, but this graphic novel was an interesting way to represent the visual aspect of Pyongyang.  Delisle is Canadian and was in North Korea to work on an animation project.  It sounds like North Korea might be a location where animation gets outsourced by some countries.

Toward the end you could feel the author's frustration with the North Koreans.  They can't, and won't, talk bad about their country.  As I know from other books, spies are everywhere and the chances for someone to rat you out are high.  I thought he was being a little unfair, but then today I realized that sometimes I have met people that, for whatever reason, make me want to be mean to them.  I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have to smart off or be rude.  Maybe after a few weeks of being in North Korea, and feeling so stuck and frustrated with the people he met, the author could not help but be a bit harsh toward them.  I don't know if he expected to find some pocket of resistance in the country but it's just not there.

Dennis Rodman is back in the news with regard to his most recent trip to North Korea.  Bad month for him, but good examples for me to use for my training sessions at work.  Off to look up the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

No comments: