Monday, March 10, 2014

The Punch

We have had "The Punch" on the shelf for a few years and I know it's one that Nancy Pearl frequently suggests.  It is a really good book and I highly recommend it.  You may want to be a little bit of basketball fan, or sports fan, to connect with all parts of the book.  If you aren't a sports person just the timing of this event is amazing to think about and how technology, and the immediate delivery of information, has changed our lives.

Full disclosure:  I have not watched the video of The Punch.  I did not want to before I started the book.  Now that I have finished the book I think Feinstein portrays the struggles and aftermath of that event for Kermit Washington and Rudy Tomjanovich so well that I feel, out of respect for these two men, I won't watch the video.  The grainy photo on the back cover and the multiple descriptions in the book are enough for me.

Also - I would not read the book while you are eating.  I made that mistake a few times while I was traveling.  Parts of it are graphic.  Other parts are so fun and interesting - the changes in the league, the NBA in general, the players that I recognized, the draft that involved Michael Jordan.

I will be pushing this book on all my sports friends and have already emailed a co-worker who has a son who is a reluctant reader but plays basketball.  I know people will enjoy this book.  Read it during March Madness for a whole basketball theme!

No comments: