Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring Cleaning and Books

How do you decide which books you want to keep around for your home library?  I am having a major Spring Cleaning jag and am looking at my shelves and storage areas and thinking "do I really need to keep that book?".  Here's what I was thinking but wondering how others decide what stays and what goes.

Signed copies - stay
Books we read in the Novella group - stay
My favorites (books and authors) - stay
Books I read that P may read - stay

Books I realize I will not ever read a 2nd time - go
Books I bought and realize I will never read - go

I take my books to the local thrift store and I know they are appreciated so it makes me feel good.  Plus I can clear some room for the Newberry book sale!  I'm just realizing that some of the books I've had around for a while are just taking up space and could probably be given away.

One of my favorite books of all times.  I know some people hate it but I love it.  Not going anywhere.  Would take this one to a desert island with me.
Read it, liked it.  Think I can give this one up because I don't think I will read it again.  Funny that the sticker is from a store in Denver - shows a time and place in my life when I enjoyed reading books about people in mental institutions.  Hmmm......yeah, this one should go.

Bought this one for P for Christmas.  He loved it and wants me to read it.  This one will stay.
Why did I buy this book?  Think I picked this one up at Newberry thinking I would read it.  It's been sitting on my shelf for years.  I don't read that much non-fiction and this one is so depressing.  Yes, I should probably know more about that part of the world but am I going to read this book?  No.  Time for it to go.



1 comment:

Melanie Higgins said...

Did you get rid of girl interrupted yet? if not, I'll take it, read it and pass it on.