Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Nasty Doonan

Well, Pistache, I wanted to read "Nasty".  Of all the places in the entire apartment HOW do you find the book I'm reading and sit on it?  It's a true cat talent.  I took the dust cover off this book because it was nasty.  I did not understand how it related to the book until I read the memoir.

I'm glad I gave Doonan another shot after "Asylum".  He is a very smart writer, but he's at his best when he's writing about his friends and family.  "Asylum" was too much about famous people and did not have natural feel that comes across in "Nasty".  In this book he's writing about what he knows and it's very well done.  He keeps the chapters compact and you get a glimpse into his childhood.  It's cringe-worthy in parts.  Some is laugh out loud funny.  And other chapters will make you teary.  He's every bit as enjoyable at David Sedaris and I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment.  I just mean if you know someone who likes Sedaris you should tell them about "Nasty".  He's not as slapstick as Sedaris, he's a bit more reserved, but you can feel the love for his family in the way he writes.  This book is true to the maxim that you can make fun of your relatives, but that does not mean that others can make fun of your relatives.  "Nasty" was re-worked into a show on LOGO.  I'm one of the few people I know who watches LOGO (yay! RuPaul's Drag Race!) but I never saw this show advertised - maybe it was on before the station was added to our cable package.  And, yes, Simon Doonan's husband still has my favorite kiss-off line in all of reality tv - "See you later decorator!".  - Jonathan Adler on Top Design which I think only ran one season.

Not sure what I'm going to read next - maybe I should put a few books out and see which one Pistache sits on to choose!

No comments: