Monday, May 11, 2015

The Love of Reading

I was on the Chicago Public Library's website today and they have a summer program called Take 20 which encourages parents to read to their children 20 minutes per day.  It started me thinking about reading, why people read, people who read and people who don't read.  I know my parents read to me but I don't remember it.  What I do remember was my favorite room in our house when I was growing up.  We had a guest bedroom with a sofa bed and tension shelving that housed the paperback collection.  My parents never stopped me from reading anything - if it was in that room I could have it.  The hardcover books were on display downstairs and required a bit more parental supervision.

One of my favorite books of all time is Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer.  It's a sweeping saga of good and evil and twists of fate in the style that Archer has perfected.  When he came to Chicago a few years ago I got to meet him and he, and Maurice Sendak, are the reasons I read.  I can't imagine not being able to read or not wanting to read.  I know people who aren't readers and I know I can't change their habits so I will just wonder what they do instead of reading.  I do have a friend that I manage to suggest one book a year so I consider that a success.  I just feel that reading is one of the greatest hobbies.  You are never alone if you have a book.

So, on that note, Archer has another series.  My mom read these as they came out but I held back a little.  Yes, he's been around for a while and he's recycling some themes and poking fun at events in his life.  That said "Only Time Will Tell" was a great story.  All the great Archer themes - intertwined family histories, mistaken identity, weaving in of current events, greed and business.  I tore through this one and quickly followed up the second book, "The Sins of the Father".   (Spoiler alert:  The only strange story line is why would you marry someone if there is a possibility that they are your half brother?  That sort of bothered me but I got over it).  I'm hoping the energy and excitement continues through the rest of the books in the series (there are 5).  Shame on me that I don't keep up with Archer's website because there was a Binge Read for the series.  That is a great idea!  Instead of binge watching tv - why not binge read some books?

No comments: