Thursday, June 11, 2015

Novella Group - Year #9

9 years!  Can you believe it?  The idea I had 9 years ago to get my friends to meet during the summer when Newberry takes a break is still going strong.  We have read some really interesting, and thought provoking, books under 200 pages.  "So Long, See You Tomorrow" by William Maxwell kicked off the start of our new season.  I thought this book was much older but it was published in The New Yorker in 1979 and came out as a book in 1980.  Which reminds me, I want to see if I can find The New Yorker and see where the story was split for serial publication.

I can see re-reading this one - even just picking it up and skimming it.  There are so many layers.  We had a great discussion even though we had to meet inside and compete with some disco on the stereo since the 50-degree Chicago weather did not reflect summer at all.  William Maxwell reads the audio book for this one and I would like to hear his voice tell this very quiet, powerful story.  Another one where children are affected by events way more than adults can understand.  Also a story where children my understand more than an adult realizes.

So thank you to my friends who join me each summer to discover more novellas!  This one would be a solid selection for any book group.

No comments: