Monday, June 1, 2015

Three Winners - Summer Reading List Additions

Looking for some good beach reads or something engaging for summer travel?  I read three in a row that fit the bill.

I thought I was going to have to wait forever for "The Girl on the Train" when I put it on hold via Overdrive at Chicago Public Library.  I think there were over 600 people on the waiting list when I added my hold request.  I would check every once in a while but was resigned to wait.  Imagine my surprise when I got the email that the book had been checked out to me!  This one is a fun ride.  Unreliable, but sympathetic, narrator.  Some creepy story lines.  You will never ride the train the same way or look out the windows into the homes without thinking about this book if you read it.  Fast paced read.

I never watched Veronica Mars on TV but may have to check out the series.  A person we know, Chad, who owns a bar in Berlin, had a song included on the soundtrack.  I saw this book come up on the Overdrive site and thought "hey, I will read the book!".  I really liked it - a not as scatterbrained Stephanie Plum, a more mature Nancy Drew.  I thought the story was original and I liked the fictional town of Neptune as well as Veronica's relationship with her father.

The third in this mystery run.  Wow.  "Gone Girl" meets "Strangers on a Train".  That is what people say and it's true.  This is the kind of book where you will be reading it and someone will try to talk to you and you will have to say "I'm reading!".  I could not put it down because I had to find out what happened next.   You would think with the comparison to other stories it might not be that original but it was - and I won't give anything away but some of the plot twists caught me by surprise in a good way!  Fun, fun, fun.  And dark.

No comments: